Thurlstone Primary School Sport Premium 2015-16
Our Vision for Thurlstone Primary School
At Thurlstone Primary School we strive for all our pupils to leave us with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
Thurlstone Primary School Sport Premium Objective
To achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of our PE and sport at Thurlstone Primary School. In achieving our vision we work in partnership with Team Activ, a company that inspires active lives.
Funding for schools will be calculated by the number of primary aged pupils (between the ages of 5 and 11) as at the annual census in January 2015. All schools with 17 or more primary aged pupils will receive a lump sum of £8,000 plus a premium of £5 per pupil. Smaller schools will receive £500 per pupil.
Total no of primary aged pupils between the ages of 5-11( Jan 2015) 111 Total amount of Sport Premium Grant received £8,555
What does the Sport Premium mean for my School?
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this’ (DfE June 2013). At Thurlstone Primary School we have split up the funding by the three key areas for consideration; Physical Education, Healthy Active Lifestyles and Competitive Sport. We have decided to spend the Sport Premium Grant on the following:
Raising standards of all our pupils in Physical education
- To provide all abilities the challenge and support they need by providing a specialist P.E teacher to teach and support across the school in lessons and afterschool clubs.
- Key member of staff to complete Level 5 Coaching qualification and benefit from specialist teaching support from Team Activ. Children of all abilities improve their skills across a range of sports. Children taking part in competition are more successful.
- To further develop the leadership of Sport and P.E in school.
- Team Activ to work with Sport Leader to audit current provision and resources
- The further develop the assessment of P.E in school.
- Team Activ to work with class teacher to implement and carry out assessments of P.E and share with school leaders.
One-to-One Teacher Support at Thurlstone Primary
Year 2 and 3 Netball
Gymnastics with Year 2 and 3
Healthy Active Lifestyles
Ensuring all our pupils have access to regular exercise
- To increase activity levels at breaks and lunchtimes.
- Lunchtime supervisors to set up and deliver new specific activities at lunch time playtime. Young Sports Leaders to plan activities.
- Healthy Heroes to work with key staff member to raise awareness of healthy food choices and lifestyles.
- Children are able to make healthy food choices and have a good understanding of what constitutes a healthy lifestyle.
Healthy Active Lifestyles at Thurlstone Primary School
Wake Up Shake Up
Key Stage 2 Fitness Club
- Cheerleading Club giving pupils the opportunity to practice and prepare for future competitions.
- Weekly training for boys and girls with opportunities for friendly competition against other local schools.
During the first half term Mr Sidebottom and Mr Jones have been working on developing the pupils individual skills and match play. This will continue during the second half term after some good progress during the first block.
- Key Stage 1 pupils work with our mini Olympians coach practicing Olympic and Sportshall Athletics events.
Golden Time Activities
- Golden time activities for pupils in class 1-5.
- Fitness, Climbing Frame, Football, Dodgeball, Tennis, Hockey, Walking Club, Cycling and Multi Skills.
- The DAILY MILE is having a great impact on fitness and stamina levels! Many more children have joined our running club as well. RUNNING FEVER has taken a hold of Thurlstone Primary School!
- Year 5’s taking part in Bikeability, all learning important skills on their bikes and having a great time too!
- Fencing with Class 5
Competitive School Sport
Increasing pupils’ participation in extra- curricular sport
- To increase the amount of competitive sport opportunities for pupils by subscribing to Team Activ.
- Take part in Team Activ events and increase our teams’ success at these events. More children take part in sporting events.
- Pay for transport to and from Team Activ events.
- All children are able to participate.
Competitive Sport at Thurlstone Primary School
Swimming at Thurlstone Primary
School Swimming – Learn To Swim Safety Guide
Race for Life
Thurlstone Quarry Dash